[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: E-mail Security

Paul Nijjar pnijjar at sdf.lonestar.org
Fri Mar 30 22:56:50 EDT 2007

SCENE 1:

(ALICE and BOB are in a broom closet, crammed inbetween the mops and
buckets and cleaning supplies. ALICE is twisted around a mop. BOB is
hunched over an overturned bucket. The only light seeps dimly under the
broom closet's door.)

   ALICE: We can't keep meeting like this.

   (A bottle of toilet bowl cleaner falls on BOB's head.)

   BOB: Ow.

   ALICE: ... but what can we do? Our adversary EVE has the rest of our
office bugged! How else can we communicate privately?

   BOB: Maybe we can send e-mails.

   ALICE: Don't be silly. Emails are sent through the Web in plaintext! EVE
can sniff our network traffic and read all the messages we send each other!

   (A can of floor wax falls on BOB's head.)

   BOB: Ow! These secretive meetings are going to give me a concussion. I
say that we go to this month's KWLUG meeting! LUG member Andrew Cant will
explain the principles of e-mail encryption using GPG. With GPG we can
sign, encrypt and send mails while making it difficult for EVE to listen
in.

   ALICE: But you use Thunderbird and I use Mutt to send mails. Surely
setting up GPG on those systems is different!

   BOB: That's okay! Andrew will show us how to set up GPG on both! He'll
also give us a primer on public-key cryptography, so we can learn why it
works.

   (A bottle of window cleaning fluid falls on BOB's head.)

   BOB: Ow. Yes! Let's go to the meeting for the sake of my head! The
presentation will start at 7pm, but if we get there between 6pm and 7pm we
can engage in some pre-meeting discussion and training for new Linux
users. We can sign out KWLUG library books to make us smart, too.

   ALICE: You've convinced me! Where do we meet?

   BOB: At the Working Centre in Kitchener:
43 Queen Street South
(Between King and Charles Streets)

   BOB: You can visit the KWLUG website to get pictures and maps.

   ALICE: Sounds like a plan!

SCENE 2:

(EVE leans against the outside of the broom closet door, her ear flush
against a glass cupped against the closet door.  She is
dressed in a top hat and a Snidely Whiplash moustache.)

   EVE: Ha! So those two are going to learn about GPG, are they? I'll go to
the KWLUG meeting as well and discover all their secrets!

   (EVE twirls her moustache in glee, cackling quietly to herself.)

   EVE: While I'm there maybe I will sign out some library books or
contribute to the KWLUG FLOSS Fund. Last month the fund raised $155.00 to
the Open Source Labs, and this week they will collect money for FreePBX,
a standardized implementation of the Asterisk phone box system featured in
KWLUG's January meeting! Bwa ha ha ha ha ha!

   ALICE: (Muffled, from inside the closet) Was that your evil laugh,
Bob?

A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR:

 	P.S. We've moved this announcement list to GNU Mailman. If you
have to update your address information or play with options, you can
visit the interface page at:

Paul Nijjar - http://www.fairvotecanada.org/WaterlooRegion
(This is my new personal account. Please send personal correspondence here.)